Re: DTrace-like analysis possible with future Linux kernels?

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 08:11:23 EST

Pascal Schmidt <der.eremit@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:20:06 +0200, you wrote in linux.kernel:
>
> > Dou you know of any other system where you can say:
> >
> > Print me a strack trace with symbols for all processes on this
> > computer (even stripped ones) that call gettimeofday() within the
> > next few seconds.
>
> Well, this is by far off-topic here now, but how does this solve
> the general problem of knowing that gettimeofday() might be a
> problem in the given situation? But yeah, once you know that,
> the functionality is useful, no doubt.

If you did not get it yet, it's an example to show what may be done.
There are many more features. Just fetch the

"Solaris Dynamic Tracing Guide"

manual as PDF for more information - it's 300 pages.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1