Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Christer Weinigel
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 05:23:15 EST

Kai Makisara <Kai.Makisara@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > Christer Weinigel <christer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > BTW: 'mt' should not need to send SCSI comands. THis shoul dbe handled via
> > specilized ioctls.
> >
> There are already ioctls for changing the tape parameters. Christer, there
> is no need to introduce tapes into this discussion.

It was en example of another application that needs to modify the mode
pages, and it's interesting to look at how we have solved similar
problems before.

So if we want to be consistent we ought to introduce specialized
ioctls for everything cdrecord wants to do. Otoh, tape drives don't
seem to be such a fast moving target as CD and DVD burners.

/Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@xxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.weinigel.se