Re: 2.6.8.1-mm3

From: David Mosberger
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 02:26:33 EST

>>>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:27:35 -0700, wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

wli> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:02:48 -0700, William Lee Irwin III said:
William> I suppose another way to answer the question of what's
William> going on is to fiddle with ia64's implementation of
William> profile_pc(). I suspect something like this may reveal the
William> offending codepaths.

wli> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:02:42AM -0700, David Mosberger
wli> wrote:
>> You do realize that q-syscollect [1] can do this better for you
>> without touching the kernel at all? [1]
>> http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/q-tools/

wli> Never heard of it. Unfortunately, the issue I run into far more
wli> frequently than tools not existing is users being unwilling or
wli> unable to use them.

True enough.

wli> In fact, it's even a relatively large hassle to get users to
wli> boot with /proc/profile enabled regardless of its
wli> simplicity.

That's why q-syscollect doesn't require any of this. No reboot, no
kernel modules. If you have access to an itanium 2 machine, you
really might want to try it. (Yes, q-view, the tool to generate
gprof-like output requires guile 1.6/slib. It comes standard wiht
Debian.)

--david