Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P0

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 23:01:33 EST

* Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will try next with /dev/random disabled. Don't most/many new
> machines have a hardware RNG that would eliminate the need for this
> code?

The C3 does have one IIRC, but do Intel CPUs have it too? Also, there's
the question of trust - how random it truly is. Is it a partly
pseudo-RNG masked via encryption? /dev/random i know is random, driven
by random timings of real disks and real network packets. The CPU's HRNG
is much more encapsulated and can only be blackbox-tested.

Ingo