Re: [RFC] Microcode Update Driver for AMD K8 CPUs

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 15:59:51 EST

Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I recently found some piece of code [1] to perform a microcode update
> on AMD's K8 CPUs. It included some update blocks hardcoded into the
> module.

Several people found this code (including me). But I don't think
it's a good idea right now to merge because it is better to leave
these things to the BIOS. It's unlikely that AMD will regularly
release "open" microcode updates anyways, and moving them
between BIOSes seems a bit dangerous to me (often you likely
need to change some magic MSRs too or you could have some
side effects). Overall it seems to be too dangerous to
do in a standard kernel.

Also I suspect the driver won't work very well on SMP.

-Andi