Re: Linux v2.6.8 - Oops on NFSv3

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 06:23:39 EST

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 13:05, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > Cane we make this 2.6.9 to avoid breaking all kinds of scripts expecting
> > three-digit kernel versions?
>
> Well, we've been discussing the 2.6.x.y format for a while, so I see this
> as an opportunity to actually do it... Will it break automated scripts?
> Maybe. But on the other hand, we'll never even find out unless we try it
> some time.

well... I'll volunteer to keep a 2.6.X-postY series.. this fix could be
part of that.

For me the -post series should be
* Only patches that are in later head kernels (maybe lightly touched to
resolve patch conflicts)
* Only patches that fix something critical/important
(where critical is of course a gray area but I'm sure a decent balance
will be found)