Re: SG_IO and security

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 15:22:49 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:

2B
Jens Axboe wrote:

I have no idea how many apps use this ioctl, does anyone have a rough
list?

Add a rate-limited "this feature is deprecated" feature and find out...

Googling for it does show it as being documented and apparently used by a few programs, at least...

Personally I know it's in use, but for some programs it's a fallback if SG_IO or a more modern method doesn't work...

Since we have (AFAICS) five interfaces (scsi-send-command, sg v1, sg v2, sg v3, and SG_IO) I would rather just go ahead and

static int printed_warning;
if (!printed_warning++)
printk(KERN_WARNING "SCSI_SEND_COMMAND deprecated\n");

Also, inevitably some of the programs using this will be ancient disk tools (some written by disk vendors long gone)...

Jeff