Re: [2.6 patch] let W1 select NET

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 10:07:27 EST

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 17:52, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:54:12 +0200
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > It's also relatively safe since NET itself doesn't has any
> > dependencies.
>
> Otherwise, this would be problematic. Consider the following:
>
> config FOO
> bool "foo"
> select BAR
>
> config BAR
> bool
> depends on BAZ
>
> config BAZ
> bool
> default n
>
> You can select FOO, which will select BAR. In your config, you'll end up with
> CONFIG_FOO=y
> CONFIG_BAR=y
> # CONFIG_BAZ is not set
>
> (similar result if you don't specify BAZ at all), which would get you into trouble. (I saw this while looking into what happens if s390 uses drivers/Kconfig, and got a headache why some stuff was selected by
> allyesconfig that depended on pci).
>
> Question: Is this a bug or a feature? If the latter, select should probably not be used on anything that has dependencies...

It is just not a good example.
In other words - it is bad config dependencies.
You just caught error.
Not very good example with depends:

config A
depends on B
config B
depends on C
config C
depends on A

Just do not create wrong dependencies - although it sounds like "do not
create deadlocks".

--
Evgeniy Polyakov ( s0mbre )

Crash is better than data corruption. -- Art Grabowski