Re: [RFC, PATCH] sys_revoke(), just a try. (was: Re: dynamic /dev security hole?)

From: Michael Buesch
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 07:43:05 EST

Quoting Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Iau, 2004-08-12 at 17:49, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > +static ssize_t revoke_read(struct file *filp,
> > + char *buf,
> > + size_t count,
> > + loff_t *ppos)
> > +{
> > + return 0;
> > +}
>
> -EIO I think but I'm not sure I remember the BSD behaviour in full

[SNIP]
REVOKE(2) OpenBSD Programmer's Manual REVOKE(2)

NAME
revoke - revoke file access

SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h>

int
revoke(const char *path);

DESCRIPTION
The revoke function invalidates all current open file descriptors in the
system for the file named by path. Subsequent operations on any such de-
scriptors fail, with the exceptions that a read() from a character device
file which has been revoked returns a count of zero (end of file), and a
close() call will succeed. If the file is a special file for a device
which is open, the device close function is called as if all open refer-
ences to the file had been close
[SNAP]

Means, that it returns different values for normal files and device
files? Do I understand that correctly?
- -EIO for files
0 for device nodes

> > +static int filp_revoke(struct file *filp, struct inode *inode)
> > +{
>
> First problem here is that the handle might still be in use
> for mmap, so you'd need to undo mmaps on it. A second is that

So I guess if we simply munmap them, programs will fail (will
segfault?). Or is it safe to munmap a mapping, while some
program is using it?

> while you can ->flush() here you can't really close it until the
> file usage count hits zero.

Is it really required to close it in revoke? I mean, if we flush it,
no data remains unwritten to disk. The user program will call
close, later by itself.

> You are btw tackling a really really hard problem and its more likely

Yes, yes. I know. ;)

> the way to do this is to add revoke() methods to drivers and do it at
> the driver level - as the tty layer does with vhangup.

- --
Regards Michael Buesch [ http://www.tuxsoft.de.vu ]