Re: [2.6 patch] let W1 select NET

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 07:12:36 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> But the similar case of USB_STORAGE selecting SCSI is an example where
> select is a big user-visible improvement over depends.

comment "USB storage requires SCSI"
depends on SCSI=n

That's also user visible and doesn't confuse the user later, why he can't
deselect SCSI.

Abusing select is really the wrong answer. What is needed is an improved
user interface, which allows to search through the kconfig information or
even can match hardware information to a driver and aids the user in
selecting the required dependencies.
Keeping the kconfig database clean and making kernel configuration easier
are really two separate problems and we shouldn't sacrifice the former for
the latter.

bye, Roman