Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 01:10:18 EST

On Fri, Aug 13 2004, Robert M. Stockmann wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > I might as well start burning on Win XP, sorry...
> >
> > What does that have to do with it? You complain that it doesn't use DMA
> > when you force the ATAPI driver, that's about as close to 'doctor it
> > hurts' as it gets. Don't do that, then. If you specify a driver, you
> > should know what you are doing. That cdrecord should _not_ include the
> > sucky ATAPI driver is a different matter, one that I have no influence
> > over.
> >
> > Default should work ok, which it does.
> >
> Now listen up Jens, i don't do default, i like to know what went
> wrong. And if you don't change your tone, your SuSE company of
> grundliche engineerung, should certainly know more about this also.

So read the thread, it's been explained there several times. It's how
the whole thread started.

The case in a nutshell is that you say you use force for ATAPI driver
and burning runs slow because it doesn't use DMA. So I tell you that you
should not use the ATAPI driver, exactly _because it doesn't use DMA_. I
go on to say that if you don't know what you are doing, why are you
forcing the ATAPI driver? So now you tell me you don't do default, what
on earth does that mean? You're to elite to use the default? If you
force something else than the default you're expected to know what you
are doing, end of story.

And read up on netiquette, it's bad style to cc a public list on a
private mail. I find nothing in the above mail that's insulting to you
from my side, all I see is that you are refusing to listen to why you
had problems with DMA burning.

--
Jens Axboe