Re: Allow userspace do something special on overtemp

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 23:31:51 EST

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pavel Machek" <pavel@xxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel
To: "Len Brown" <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Dax Kelson" <dax@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <trenn@xxxxxxx>; <seife@xxxxxxx>;
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: Allow userspace do something special on overtemp

Ouch and btw I've done some torturing on one prototype (AMD). It had
thermal at 98Celsius (specs for this cpu said 95C max), and I ended my
test at 105Celsius. I do not know about TM1/TM2 etc, but in this case
hardware clearly failed to do the right thing.

This is dependent on the CPU/motherboard in use - AMD CPUs (up to the last
ones I heard about, anyway) don't have any built in thermal protection, they
rely on the motherboard to shut down the CPU in the event of
over-temperature. Intel CPUs since the Pentium II all shut down on excessive
over-temperature; Pentium 4s will also clock-throttle to continue operating
before they get to this point.