Re: Scheduler fairness problem on 2.6 series (Attn: Nick Piggin andothers)

From: Peter Williams
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 20:45:27 EST

spaminos-ker@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
--- Peter Williams <pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've just run your tests on my desktop and with max_ia_bonus at its default value I see the "delta = 3" with 20 threads BUT when I set max_ia_bonus to zero they stop (in both "eb" and "pb" mode). So I then reran the tests with 60 threads and zero max_ia_bonus and no output was generated by your testdelay script in either "eb" or "pb" modes. I didn't try "sc" mode as I have a ZAPHOD kernel loaded (not HYDRA) but Con has reported that the problem is absent in his latest patches so I'll update the "sc" mode in HYDRA to those patches.

I just tried the same test on spa-zaphod-linux 4.1 over 2.6.8-rc4

I also have messages with 20 threads "delta = 3" that go away when I set
max_ia_bonus to 0 (and stay off with 60 threads too) in "pb" mode.

I'm going to do some experiments to measure the relationship between the size of max_ia_bonus and the observed delays to see if there's value that gives acceptable performance without turning bonuses off completely.

But, unlike your desktop, the "eb" mode doesn't seem to get better by setting
max_ia_bonus to 0 on my machine, maybe I need to tweak something else? (even
though, the idea of tweaking for a given workload doesn't sound very good to
me).

You could try increasing "base_promotion_interval". When I have a better idea of the best values (for each mode) for the various parameters I'll reset their values when the mode is changed.

The "pb" mode is very responsive with the system under heavy load, I like it :)

That's good to hear.

If you have time, I'd appreciate if you could try a few different values of max_ia_bonus to determine the minimum value that still gives good responsiveness for your system? I'm trying to get a feel for how much this varies from system to system.

I will run some tests over the week end with the actual server to see the
effect of this patch on a more complex system.

Nicolas

PS: the machine I am using is a pure server, only accessible through ssh, so I
can not really tell the behavior under X.

If it's a pure server I imagine that it's not running X. On a pure server I'd recommend setting max_ia_bonus to zero.

Thanks
Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx