Re: module.viomap support for ppc64

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 18:46:02 EST

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 05:34, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 12:37, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > Current MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(vio, $table); defines 2 char pointers. I'm
> > not sure if depmod can really handle it. Where do they point to in the
> > module binary? I could find an answer, so far. I just declared an array.
>
> Olaf explained on irc that output_vio_entry() below was finding NULL for
> the name and compat pointers. Perhaps some additional relocation needs
> to take place before those can be used?

1) Please use char arrays of some fixed size.

2) Please modify scripts/mod/file2alias.c in the kernel source, not the
module tools. The modules.XXXmap files are deprecated: device tables
are supposed to be converted to aliases in the build process, and that
is how userspace tools like hotplug are to find them.

3) I will still accept patches to module-init-tools if required for 2.4
compatibility, but they will be going away at some point!

Hope that clarifies!
Rusty.
--
Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an idiot -- Rusty Russell