Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 17:38:51 EST

Måns Rullgård wrote:
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

That seems reasonable, but _only_ if burnfree is not enabled. If the
hardware _supports_ burnfree but it's disabled, the warning should also
recommend turning it on.

I'm also wondering why cdrecord disables it by default. Can it ever
do any harm being enabled?

In theory, yes. It makes the track longer, so it could in theory make something large not fit. In practice, there really are some readers which skip on audio when they see the blanks. As Joerg which ones, but other people have agreed that it does happen.

I have noted that even with it off my recent burners don't mind running out of data, so in most cases it won't hurt. Burning off NFS I see 7-10 underruns typically.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)