Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 17:14:21 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:
Albert Cahalan writes:

Joerg:
"WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).\n"
"WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.\n"
Fixed:
"Warning: You don't have permission to lock memory.\n"
" If the computer is not idle, the CD may be ruined.\n"

Joerg:
"WARNING: Cannot set priority class parameters priocntl(PC_SETPARMS)\n"
"WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.\n"
Fixed:
"Warning: You don't have permission to hog the CPU.\n"
" If the computer is not idle, the CD may be ruined.\n"

Huh? That can't be right. Every cd burner this side of the 21st century has buffer underrun protection. I've burnt cds _while_ capturing and encoding video using truckloads of cpu and I/O without superuser privileges, had all the cdrecord warnings and didn't have a buffer underrun. Last time I gave superuser privilege to cdrecord it locked my machine - clearly it wasn't rt_task safe.

This may be a side effect of your scheduler, then. Cdrecord is run as or by root on a lot of systems and I've never had any indication that ever does anything which hurts response, other than to lock down a small memory section for fifo.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)