Re: Allow userspace do something special on overtemp

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 15:26:49 EST

Hi!

> > > I think I'd rather see the calls to usermode deleted
> > > instead of extended -- unless there is a reason that
> > > the general event -> acpid method can't work.
> >
> > See above, switching to acpid would break all the existing
> > setups... in stable series.
>
> ah, the price of progress.
>
> I'm confident that the distros can figure out how to
> update the (neglected) acpid scripts at the same time as
> (or before) the kernel update.

* not everyone is running distro

* people update their kernels more often then their distros

* not everyone wants to run acpid or equivalent (I don't, for example)

* it is still change in stable series.

* it is pretty subtle change, you are not going to notice it is broken
unless you actually run critical.

> If they can't, then ACPI critical shutdown will fail
> (maybe on some systems not such a bad thing;-)
> and TM1 will kick in, and if that doesn't work, TM2
> will kick in, and if that doesn't work the processor
> will disable itself.

hmm, yes, but it still would be nice to properly shutdown instead of
fail.
Pavel