Re: OT: Distribution for Power4 Machines

From: Jake Moilanen
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 14:56:46 EST

> Thanks to Sven Luther our new installer fully supports power4 (as far as
> I know, I don't personally own one.)
>
> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/daily/powerpc/current/
>
> should contain a CD image that can boot your machine.

Unless they fixed this very recently, the kernels they build for power4
are the 32-bit ones. Which work fine if you are booting power4 natively
(ie without it running in partition). As soon as a power4 box is
running in a partition the kernel breaks because the 32-bit one does not
have the hypervisor calls.

I know Tom Gall has been working on Gentoo for ppc64.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall/

Thanks,
Jake