Re: IDE hackery: lock fixes and hotplug controller stuff

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 14:49:24 EST

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:12:35PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > It is a correct analysis for /proc/ide/hdx/settings:ide-scsi but not
> > for /proc/ide/hdx/driver which works just fine (modulo being racy)
> > and your patch removes both interfaces...
>
> I see no viable way to fix it, and I see nobody using it so it should
> die. If someone does want to keep it then they can rewrite the ide layer
> to make it work.

"driver" interface _works_ (tested earlier today with 2.6.8-rc3-bk3)
and how do you know that there are no users of it, from the magic ball?

Also aren't you the one who has made "ide-scsi" interface non-functional
by introducing ide_setting_sem, he? 8)

http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/2/18/146

I fully agree that both interfaces should be removed nowadays but this
should be done with some (minimal) care...

> I also have the it8212 working in smart but non raid now. Seems issuing an
> LBA 48 cache flush (0xEF) crashes the firmware which is why it died on load
> for some users. To do that I've added hwif->raw_taskfile() so that an
> interface can filter commands.

Ouch, they should really fix this in the firmware.

Bartlomiej