Re: Scheduler fairness problem on 2.6 series (Attn: Nick Piggin and others)

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 21:54:59 EST

spaminos-ker@xxxxxxxxx writes:

--- Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I tried this on the latest staircase patch (7.I) and am not getting any output from your script when tested up to 60 threads on my hardware. Can you try this version of staircase please?

There are 7.I patches against 2.6.8-rc4 and 2.6.8-rc4-mm1

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.8/

Cheers,
Con

One thing to note is that I do get a lot of output from the script if I set
interactive to 0 (delays between 3 and 13 seconds with 60 threads).

Sounds fair.

With interactive==0 it will penalise tasks during their bursts of cpu usage in the interest of fairness, and your script effectively is BASH doing a burst of cpu so 3-13 second delays when the load is effectively >60 is pretty good.

Cheers,
Con