Re: 2.6.8-rc4-mm1 doesn't boot

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 18:33:06 EST

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:33:50PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 5:56 pm, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > >
> > It happens before the
> > floppy0: no floppy controllers found
> > line.
> >
> > Could there be a problem because the floppy driver doesn't find
> > anything (there's currently no floppy drive in my computer)?
>
> Not only is your machine floppy drive-less, but the driver thinks you
> don't even have a floppy *controller*, which I assume is separate
> from the actual drive.
>
> What mainboard do you have? Does it boot without "pci=routeirq"

I have an ASRock K7S8X (it was the only Athlon board for under 30 Euro
half a year ago...).

It boots without "pci=routeirq" only if I disable ACPI.

> if you turn CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD off?

Yes, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD fixes the problem.

> The code in the floppy_init() -> user_reset_fdc() -> WAIT() ->
> wait_til_done() -> reset_fdc() path looks pretty scary if there
> really is no controller out there. I'd feel much better if
> we at least tried to use ACPI to figure out whether we have
> a controller before we try to talk to it.
>
> All that aside, I still don't see how the pci=routeirq change
> would affect the floppy driver. It does request_irq(6, ...),
> and it is interesting that you have this:
>
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] enabled at IRQ 6
> ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:04.0[A] -> GSI 6 (level, low) -> IRQ 6
>
> which is for your NIC. But the floppy controller isn't a PCI
> device, so the LNKD enable shouldn't matter to it.
>
> Let's see... you're using the PIC model. Maybe the floppy driver
> depends on the ACPI_IRQ_MODEL_PIC stuff in acpi_register_gsi()?
> Can you post the contents of /proc/interrupts with the floppy
> driver and "pci=routeirq"? It seems weird to have the floppy

<-- snip -->

CPU0
0: 477284 XT-PIC timer
1: 2354 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
6: 36675 XT-PIC eth0
8: 4 XT-PIC rtc
9: 0 XT-PIC acpi
10: 0 XT-PIC ehci_hcd
11: 41789 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI, radeon@PCI:1:0:0
12: 13254 XT-PIC i8042
14: 19687 XT-PIC ide0
15: 24 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 5

<-- snip -->

> and the NIC share an IRQ, but it looks like that's what should
> be happening.
>
> Bjorn

cu
Adrian