Re: Allow userspace do something special on overtemp

From: Kronos
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 16:10:17 EST

Thomas Renninger <trenn@xxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> Len Brown wrote:
>> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 05:06, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!

>>>that fails calls /sbin/poweroff.
>>

>> Does /sbin/overtemp exist anyplace, or is this a proposal
>> to create it? What might it do?
>
> save some user info, suspend, standby, extreme throttling?
> It should be somehow configurable in userspace.
>
> For my opinion it would be nicest if kernel just throws a thermal event
> to /proc/acpi/event (it already does this, but immediately shuts down)
> and acpid or others should decide whether shutdown/suspend/standby or
> whatever should be done next.

I think that /sbin/overtemp is better, acpid may not know what do.
Suppose that the kernel delivers the event to acpid (or hotplug) but
they aren't configured to handle that, your CPU will melt...

> I have a machine with a broken DSDT which sets the critical tp to 200°C,
> there always must be some HW shutdown..., or do you think this is too risky?

It's more secure to call a program that can handle that for sure (ie.
/sbin/overtemp) and shutdown if it doesn't exist.

Luca
--
Home: http://kronoz.cjb.net
"New processes are created by other processes, just like new