Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 00:14:10 EST

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Udo A. Steinberg wrote:

> I'm currently using 2.6.8-rc4 and I'm seeing the same problem. Each day the
> machine just gets slower and swappier, even though I'm always running the same
> workload. Rebooting helps a lot. The machine has very little memory (128MB).

This is your slab-info sorted according to use:

bytes used slab
---------- -----
128,000 filp
128,832 size-64
142,128 vm_area_struct
161,376 size-96
184,320 biovec-(256)
188,160 biovec-64
188,416 pgd
188,416 size-1024
192,000 biovec-128
217,088 size-4096
241,664 size-2048
290,816 size-512
310,464 inode_cache
564,144 radix_tree_node
608,832 ext3_inode_cache
611,520 dentry_cache
688,128 size-8192
917,504 size-32768
1,734,048 buffer_head

and that "buffer_head" thing really looks strange. I also wonder what the
hell is allocating so many 8kB and 32kB entries.

That said, the cumulative slabinfo usage seems to be no more than
8,924,868 bytes, so it doesn't seem to be slab that is the problem.

> MemTotal: 125124 kB
> MemFree: 1404 kB
> Buffers: 19060 kB
> Cached: 40484 kB
> SwapCached: 33336 kB
> Active: 70176 kB
> Inactive: 41892 kB

"active+inactive" adds up to ~111MB, which together with slab accounts for
pretty much all your memory. So there isn't anything unaccounted either.

So I suspect it's a balancing issue. Possibly just the slight change in
slab balancing to fix the highmem problems. Maybe we shrink slab _too_
aggressively or something.

Linus