Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 22:50:27 EST

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Linus, I hate to be a killjoy on this, but I just had to reboot again,

Note that this is something else going on. The "obvious one-liner" can be
an issue only with certain special XFS stuff or knfsd, neither of which
you have.

> it was killing processes, even first the shells I had open then kmail
> and X this time, but with nothing in the logs, and when X had quit, a
> top in the launching shell reported nearly 250 megs free with nothing
> in the swap.

As Andrew already requested, the only way for us to figure out what is
wrong is to get output from you on where the memory has gone. Notably, the
output of "/proc/meminfo" and "/proc/slabinfo". "ps axm" helps too.

If it is slow, the above will still work. Just save them away and reboot.

Linus