Re: Network routing issue

From: David Greaves
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 16:56:22 EST

You're on the wrong track. C doesnt even need IP addresses, two choices:

- C as bridge and use ebtables (C doesnt even need addresses theoretically)

- C as router, use iptables. C needs one or more addresses which must be different.

My problem is I need to modify the messages before passing them on. As far
as I'm aware, bridges don't do that - but then I'm a newbie when it comes to
bridging!

http://www.spinics.net/lists/netfilter/msg13455.html

http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

I don't know if it will do what you want 'out of the box'

if not then the sensible thing to do would be to route and setup:

192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.2

and use iptables to do user space packet filtering.

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//netfilter-hacking-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.7
http://www.lowth.com/howto/iptables-treasures.php

I saw that ebtables can use iptables modules (with some hacking)

David