Re: [Kernel] Re: New dev model

From: Thierry Vignaud
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 15:44:36 EST

"Svetoslav Slavtchev" <svetljo@xxxxxx> writes:

> once again, sorry for this way of replying,
> could you keep me CC'd as i'm not subscribed to lkml

(...)

> That could be done by sending in smaller patches that remove devfs
> calls from drivers. If nothing in the kernel is using devfs, then
> there is no reason to keep it around anymore...

well actually removing such bits from dac960.c and cciss.c would
restore devfs support for them :-(

> please don't do it /*at least not in the following two months :-)*/
>
> what does this buy us ?
>
> once again about the upcoming Mandrake 10.1, we already have readded
> devfs support to isdn, should we start tracking bk-head for such
> patches that remove devfs support from drivers and revert them ?
> should we stay with 2.6.7 (or eventually 2.6.8)? there is really no
> time to integarate/test udev as replacement of devfs for the next
> release.

the odds're high we'll go out with udev by default.
it works smoothly for most devices (dvb and a few others seems missing
but patches are pending).

drakx installer is know fully aware of it (as of today's cvs)