Re: BUG: bsd pts now climbs continuously

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 13:03:44 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Maw, 2004-08-10 at 05:07, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

ssh breaks at 9999 which is fun too. It runs out of buffer space
although because its been properly coded it doesn't overrun it just
starts corrupting utmp

This I believe is a glibc bug, and really needs to be fixed.
Unfortunately glibc's handling of utmp is just incredibly broken.

How remarkable given the snprintf line in question is in the sshd
source code.

OK, that wasn't the bug I was thinking about, then :)

I was referring to the "line id" stuff in utmp, which really seems too broken to live.