bkl cleanup in do_sysctl

From: Josh Aas
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 12:17:04 EST

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on replacing the bkl in do_sysctl with a localized spin lock that protects the sysctl structures. Instead of grabbing the bkl, anyone that needs to mess with those values could grab the localized lock (1 to protect all structures). Such a localized lock would allow us to get rid of bkl usage in at least one other place as well (do_coredump). In order to do this though, we would have to make sure all code that grabs the bkl instead of the localized lock while using sysctl values switches to the new lock. Might be a big job, but perhaps it would be a good one to start after 2.6.8 is out the door.

Thoughts? Comments?

--
Josh Aas
Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI)