Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 10:28:09 EST

On Tue, 2004-08-10 16:49:47 +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040810164947.7f363529.skraw@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:27:13 +0200 (CEST)
> Joerg Schilling <schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - These distributions do not talk with the original Authors which
> > demonstrates that they do not like to benefit from OSS.
>
> Really, have you listened to yourself lately: "Commercial distros do not like
> to benefit from OSS." ???
> How do you define their primary goal, arguing with Joerg Schilling, or what?

IIRC Jörg complained some hundred emails ago that they (the SuSE people)
don't care to try to get their patches upstream, back to Jörg, or
discussing their changes with him (but instead hacking cdrecord the way
it fits best for them).

While they (and any other distro's people and anybody else) may actually
hack the code to no end, I consider it being good habit to actually
*avoid* forking without the intent to (constantly) work in re-merging
the fork. While this is perfectly legal, I can understand that Jörg
(even while using a broken email client 8-) doesn't like getting
complains about a hacked cdrecord, or missing useful changes the
distribution people did to cdrecord...

So what's commercial distro's primary goal? (1) Re-packaging
software for the sole purpose of earning some $$ or (2) acting as
a mediator between upstream authors and their paying customers?

If it is all about (1), I for one would consider (at least for my future
work) to not continue without actually *forcing* vendors into discussing
their useful changes with me as an upstream author. Like working IN but
not solely FOR a community...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O