Re: Finding out what certain kernel config options are dependant on

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 09:42:59 EST

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:15:18PM +0200, Tim Cambrant wrote:

> Hi, I'm sorry for not posting a more development related question, but I
> know there is a need for finding out why certain options in make config are
> preselected, and why we can't choose not to use them. If this doesn't make
> sense, consider this:
> On my machine, with 2.6.8-rc4-mm1 (and all the other versions I've tried so
> far in 2.6) CONFIG_CRYPTO is preselected, and I can't remove it. I'm not
> interested in the cryptographic API at all. So what driver or option did i
> enable that requires CONFIG_CRYPTO?
> I'd appreciate help on finding this out, since I'd like to remove it all
> from my .config. Is there a script or some other automated way on finding
> this out?
> If I find out that CONFIG_CRYPTO really is needed in the kernel all the
> way, I appologize for asking such a stupid question, but then I'd wonder
> why there is even an option for that.

find . -name Kconfig\* | xargs grep select | grep CRYPTO

It seems, you have one or more of the following options enabled:

BLK_DEV_CRYPTOLOOP
DM_CRYPT
INET6_AH
INET6_ESP
INET6_IPCOMP
INET_AH
INET_ESP
INET_IPCOMP
IPV6_PRIVACY
IP_SCTP
NFS_V4
RPCSEC_GSS_KRB5

Disabling all of them should enable you to disable CRYPTO.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed