APIC Error 04(04) Kernel Breakage

From: Tony (Unihost)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 06:59:45 EST

Hi,

I've been referred to the LKML by a few different people regarding this problem so here goes. I've googled for the problem and can find other people with similar problems but as yet can find no one that has resolved the issue.

An example is here: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0201.2/1308.html//

The Mobo in question is an Asus A7M266-D, currently running the latest BIOS and a pair of MP1600 Procs. All is functioning well (apart from crashes from the AACRAID driver) I'm runnning Kernel 2.6.3. It is a production server which makes debugging all the more difficult.

When the server was taken down a week or two ago for an upgrade, two AMD MP2800 processors were installed. Upon reboot there was a flood of /

"APIC error on CPU0: 04(04)"

/
The server remains like this until power cycled. When the original MP1600 procs are installed again it all runs fine. I've seen various explainations from "Asus won't divulge any info to Linux Developers" to "Just turn off APIC". So I'm out of ideas and people to ask. Can anyone help me solve this issue?

Regards

Tony

//