Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 04:41:34 EST

Joerg Schilling schrieb am 2004-08-09:

> >From: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>
>
> >> Please try again after you had a look into the cdrtools sources.
> >>
> >> Cdrecord also needs privilleges to lock memory and to raise prioirity.
>
> >They are not required, or at least not with the version I use. It warns
> >of failing to set priority and lock memory, I can continue fine though.
> >With the casual burning of CDs I do, it's never been a problem.
>
> You should believe people who know better.....

Jïrg, this is insulting. Who knows better than Jens if his computer has
needed burn-proof and if his writes have been successful? You for one
don't. I don't either but at least I don't claim to.

There may be problems with insufficient privileges, problems when pages
aren't locked into memory, problems when cdrecord doesn't have realtime
priority, but that doesn't mean everyone encounters them.

The maintainer's (your) definition of "works" or "no problem" and the
end user's definition of "works" or "no problem" differ by an order of
magnitude. Such is a developer's life.

So consider refining the warnings and tell users what CAN happen if they
continue without root privileges and add a 15 s timer so they can read,
abort and retry with sudo.

--
Matthias Andree

NOTE YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE MY MAIL IF YOU'RE USING SPF!
Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)