Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 00:24:25 EST

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 00:47, Con Kolivas wrote:
> Albert Cahalan writes:

> >> Huh? That can't be right. Every cd burner this side of the 21st century has
> >> buffer underrun protection.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure my FireWire CD-RW/CD-R is from
> > another century. Not that it's unusual in 2004.
> >
> >> I've burnt cds _while_ capturing and encoding
> >> video using truckloads of cpu and I/O without superuser privileges, had all
> >> the cdrecord warnings and didn't have a buffer underrun.
> >
> > That's cool. My hardware won't come close to that.
> > Burning a coaster costs money.
> >
> > Let me put it this way: $$ $ $$$ $$ $ $$$ $$ $
> >
> > The warning, if re-worded, will save people from
> > frustration and wasted money.
>
> Sounds good; how about something less terrifying? That warning sounds like a
> ruined cd is likely.

I'm not about to burn CDs trying, but I do believe
that "a ruined cd is likely" would be accurate if I
were to keep busy with Mozilla and such. OpenOffice
would surely ruin a cd. Light web browsing makes my
mp3 player skip.

Not all of us have hardware like you do. Encoding
video is something I wouldn't bother to try, even
without the CD burner going!

(the box isn't that old; it's fanless though)

> >> Last time I gave
> >> superuser privilege to cdrecord it locked my machine - clearly it wasn't
> >> rt_task safe.
> >
> > So, you've been working on the scheduler anyway...
> > An option to reserve some portion of CPU time for
> > emergency use (say, 5% after 1 second has passed)
> > would let somebody get out of this situation.
>
> This breaks the real time policy entirely. That's why I run it SCHED_ISO ...
> but of course this isn't available in mainline linux.

Of course it breaks the real time policy entirely.
It would have to be enabled via a sysctl.

The NMI watchdog breaks cli/sti. We have it anyway.
This is the same thing.