Re: dynamic /dev security hole?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 11:36:48 EST

On Llu, 2004-08-09 at 17:17, Eric Lammerts wrote:
> It's only meant as a fix for the hardlink trick, not against the open
> file descriptor trick. About the latter, if someone still has the
> device opened, how can it go away? And if it doesn't go away, how can
> udev create a new node with the same major/minor?

User closes device
I have linked copy (not open)
Device unloaded
I open the linked copy
This makes new device load for me.

I'm just trying to point out that the order of operations matters here
because the old nodes must all be dead before the new device. Its even
worse for less dynamic numbering.

Alan