Re: ide-cs using 100% CPU

From: Hamie
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 04:05:39 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

On Gwe, 2004-08-06 at 20:33, Hamie wrote:

Is 100% CPU not excessive? IIRC my PIII-750 used to use less CPU doing the same job as quick, or even slightly faster...

PCMCIA IDE is PIO only so it burns CPU. This is one case where
hyperthreading is nice. Cardbus IDE is a lot better but very little
exists and we don't currently support hotplug IDE controllers.

Ah right. But would a CF memory card be cardbus anyway?

And should it not use system CPU rather than user CPU?

Yes - but figure out please if the kernel or userspace is getting that
wrong ;)

My apologies. It was gkrellm leading me up the garden path on that one... Copying about 100MB from a 512MB CF card (25+ photos from my camera) vmstat 5 reports 4% usercpu, 96% system cpu. And the response on the system is sluggish to say the least. (Moving the pointer in X is painful :). gkrell meanwhile on it's cpu graph shows about 30% system, and the rest as userCPU. No idea why, I guess till I find out I'll just regard gkrellm's cpu graph as a waste of space (To differentiate system & user cpu anyway :).