Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 00:54:41 EST

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Martin Mares wrote:

> Most of all, I would like to know (I see I'm repeating myself, but I still
> haven't seen an answer to that) what's so special about the SCSI-like devices,

Don't even bother.

Joerg is wrong. SCSI number simply doesn't work, and the current Linux
setup is absolutely the right thing to do.

If Joerg keeps breaking cdrecord, the distributions will hopefully just
keep unbreaking it. The way you send SCSI commands to a device under Linux
is to open the device (with O_NDELAY) and then just start sending the
commands. None of the idiotic scanning and SCSI numbering crap.

Involving Joerg in it just makes you go crazy. Don't bother.

Linus