Re: Increasing number of inodes after format?

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 12:54:55 EST

Dave Kleikamp wrote:

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 16:27, Timothy Miller wrote:

I was involved in a discussion a while back where it was explained that ext2/3 allocate a certain maximum number of inodes at format time, and you cannot increase that number later.

It was also mentioned that one or more of the journaling file systems (XFS, JFS, Reiser, etc.) either dynamically allocated inodes or could increase the maximum later if the pre-allocated set got used up.

Could someone please repeat for me which filesystems have dynamic maximum inode counts?

JFS dynamically allocates inodes as needed. An inode extent (consisting
of 32 inodes) will also be freed if all of its inodes are freed.

reiserfs V3 and V4 have stat data not on disk inodes, and they are dynamically allocated.