Re: DRM function pointer work..

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 09:47:17 EST

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:54:52PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Yes, while I support the current rework and de-templatization of the code, I
> don't support any attempt to split the drm modules to try and share code at
> runtime - ie. I don't support a core/submodule approach.

We had that argument already in 2000/2001 when we had the big XFree 4.1 DRM
update. There's no reason drm should be different from all other kernel
subsystems. If you really fear this is a problem add a monotonely increasing
DRM_VERSION define for driver to check against and even better don't make any
not backwards-compatible changes unless you're doing a major version bump.