Re: Linux 2.6.8-rc3 - BSD licensing

From: Jari Ruusu
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 05:24:01 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> > Linus, you are mixing two completely different rights here;
> > re-distribution right and re-licensing right.
>
> Ehh.. You're wrong.

Yep. I goofed.

> You haven't even read the GPL, have you?

I read it in 1995. Obviously too many years have passed since then.

> So when you claim that the code isn't GPL-compatible, and at the same time
> claim that we can't re-license it under the GPL, you are very very
> confused indeed. Either it is GPL-compatible, or it is not. And if it is
> GPL-compatible, that ABSOLUTELY means that it can be relicensed under the
> GPL.

Yep. I don't have any other choice here than to permit re-licencing the
code. My 04-Aug-2004 18:04:46 +0300 posting where I denied re-licencing
right was completely wrong. I'm sorry about that.

For loop-AES users I uploaded a patch here that updates licenses to be
GPL-compatible: http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/updates/aes-GPL.diff

--
Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD