Re: disabling all video

From: Davy Durham
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 20:51:54 EST

Yapo Sebastien wrote:

Question: I would like the kernel not to use any of the video hardware
on the machine. Is there any run-time kernel parameter I can pass to
disable all video? (I tried console= to direct output to the serial
port, but ttys were still using the vga hardware.) My video card is
built onto the mother board, and there is no way I see to disable it
from the BIOS.

Remove "if EMBEDDED" in the VT and VT_CONSOLE section of drivers/char/Kconfig then reconfigure your kernel.
You should find the old VT options in Device Drivers -> Character devices

Aww, is there no way to disable it at run-time? I'm working with a precompiled kernel.

Perhaps there's a trick to disable the card with a special interrupt? Set the terminal parameters to blanked from the kernel parameter line (like setterm does)

Thanks