Re: Scheduler policies for staircase

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 10:34:38 EST

Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
Con,

I have been using SCHED_BATCH on two machines now with expected
results. So this you might consider this as another success report :-)

Great. Thanks for the report. I too use them all day every day on each
machine I have with distributed computing clients so they're pretty well
tested.

I forgot to mention about something.

I totally deadlocked my machine just after setting the
/proc/sys/kernel/compute to 1 with
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/computer

The machine is 2x1G p3, and the kernel was SMP and I had experimentally
seti@home running in SCHED_BATCH mode in screen.

It was 2.6.8-rc1 with ck patches from:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.7/2.6.8-rc1/

I used these patches on 2.6.8-rc1 from it (of course in the proper
order:
__cleanup_transaction-latency-fix.patch
crq-fixes.diff
defaultcfq.diff
filemap_sync-latency-fix.patch
from_2.6.8-rc1_to_staircase7.A

Sorry, those were snapshot patches and not "release" patches. That bug was known and fixed in staircase 7.E which was released with 2.6.7-ck6; 2.6.8-rc2-mm2 did not have that bug either.

Cheers,
Con