Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 07:30:19 EST

On Thu, Aug 05 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >From: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>
>
> >ATA method is misnamed, it's really SG_IO that is used. And you want to
> >use that regardless of the device type, SCSI or ATAPI. There's no such
> >thing as an ATA burner, and there's no need to differentiate between
> >SCSI or ATAPI CD-ROM's when burning - SG_IO is the method to use. So
> >forget browsing /proc/ide and other hacks.
>
> I am sorry but as Linux already has 6 different interfaces for sending
> Generic SCSI commands and thus, we are running out of names.
>
> Let me give you an advise: consolidate Linux so that is does only need
> /dev/sg and fix the bugs in ide-scsi instead of constantly inventing new
> unneeded interfaces.

That's been the general direction for quite some time, just that SG_IO
is the preferred method since that works all around. You were the one
that merged support for the CDROM_SEND_PACKET interface, which has
_never_ been advertised as a way to burn CDs in Linux. I'd suggest you
remove that.

--
Jens Axboe