Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 06:56:52 EST

>I've written a patch for cdrecord/cdrtools. I've sent it to Joerg Schilling
>already, but got no answer so far. Probably he's on vaccation.

Looks like I first need to correct you :-(

You send a mail on July 5th and received a reply on July 6th, wo where is
your problem?

>I'm sending this to LKML too, because I've read about some ... nebulosity
>with respect to scsi device numbering as used by cdrtools.

This is caused by the "mist" throughn out by parts of the Linux kernel :-(

>To cut a long story short: the patch avoids cdrecord having to use the
>"virtual" scsi device numbering in the form of "ATAPI:x.y.z" and allows
>you to use the name of the device, e.g. /dev/hdc instead.

I am sorry, but using something like dev=/dev/hdc is deprecated.
In addition, several programs distinct between so called Cooked ioctl()s and
generic SCSI by checking for UNIX device names vs. SCSI address specs.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1