Re: why hold bkl during do_coredump?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 23:22:58 EST

Josh Aas <josha@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking at not holding the bkl during do_coredump, but I can't
> figure out why its being held in the first place. I can only think of
> the need to not mess with the current memory map, but mmap_sem is
> currently held as well. Anybody know what is going on here?

The only thing I can see in there which needs lock_kernel() is the access
to core_pattern - it's changed by sysctl, which also takes lock_kernel().

Probably, adding a lock_kernel() and a comment around the call to
format_corename() should suffice. Please make format_corename() static
while you're there.