Re: 2.6.7 SATA (SCSI emulation) sw-raid1 - lockup when 1 drive isremoved

From: Andre Tomt
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 19:41:53 EST

Marinos J. Yannikos wrote:
A box with a stock 2.6.7 kernel using the Promise SX4 controller (CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SX4, i.e. libata driver) locks up completely when one of the 2 drives in a raid 1 configuration is removed. I believe this is not how raid 1 is supposed to work. ;-) swap was initially on the drive I removed only (/dev/sdb2), but I also tested this with swap on a raid volume (/dev/md2 = /dev/sdb2 + /dev/sdc2)- the effect is exactly the same in both cases.

The last message seen is: "ata1 DMA timeout", then the console stops working. dmesg output and config.gz available at: http://stuff.geizhals.at/misc/2004-08-04/

Perhaps there is a work-around or this issue can be resolved quickly before one of the drives actually dies...

I've seen this same thing when S-ATA drives have really died on me while using 2.4.24-26+libata, computer just locks up even when used with md RAID1/RAID5. Though this is Intel ICH5("R"). Didn't have any time to get any more debugging done at those few times, though.

It's mostly just annoying to have to reset the machines, especially as this does not happen with the drivers/ide drivers (not verified with ich5 specificly).

--
André Tomt