Re: /dev/hdl not showing up because of fix-ide-probe-double-detectionpatch

From: Tupshin Harper1
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 17:40:14 EST

Tupshin Harper1 wrote:

I have an x86 setup with a large(9) number of ide hard drives. With 2.6.8-rc2, all of them show up (as a,b,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k, and l), but on 2.6.8-rc2-mm1, the last one (hdl) does not show up, even though it's a slave on the same controller as hdk. Everything about the config is identical between the two. Is there some default limit or other restriction in the current mm kernels that's preventing that drive from showing up? I haven't tried any other recent mm kernels, so I don't know when this was introduced.

-Tupshin

Well, I found the source of the problem. Dmesg gives a "ignoring undecoded slave" message, which is coming from the fix-ide-probe-double-detection patch.

Both /dev/hdk and /dev/hdl are the same model of hard drive, and unfortunately, they both report that they are Model M0000000000000000000, which triggers the double detection removal.

Does anybody have a suggestion (besides maintaining my own kernel without this patch)? Is the serial number settable? Is there a boot param I can use?

Also, what is in /proc/ide/hd?/identity besides serial number. The two drives have very similar identity files, but they are slightly different. Could that additional info be used to check for duplicates?

-Tupshin

---snippet from dmesg---
PDC20276: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0c.0
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0c.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
PDC20276: chipset revision 1
PDC20276: 100% native mode on irq 19
ide4: BM-DMA at 0xdc00-0xdc07, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
ide5: BM-DMA at 0xdc08-0xdc0f, BIOS settings: hdk:pio, hdl:pio
hdi: SAMSUNG SV8004H, ATA DISK drive
hdj: Maxtor 6Y250P0, ATA DISK drive
ide4 at 0xec00-0xec07,0xe802 on irq 19
hdk: Maxtor 4R120L0, ATA DISK drive