Re: Realtek 8169 NIC driver version

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 11:54:51 EST

Francois Romieu wrote:
dlion <dlion2005@xxxxxxxxxxxx> :
[...]

I have read some driver codes in the Linux kernel. I noticed
that the RTL-8169 driver(r8169.c) is an older version (v1.2).
There is a newer drivers on Realtek's website. It's version
number is v1.6 , and it is really much better than v1.2. Why
not merge it into official kernel realease?

It has already been merged in 2.4.x and 2.6.x. That's old history,
really.

This one bit me awhile back, too. Could we just remove that version number? (Especially with the latest round of changes, the in-kernel driver bears little resemblance to Realtek's.)

--Andy