Re: Linux 2.6.8-rc3

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 07:58:39 EST

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 08:07, Jan De Luyck wrote:

>On Wednesday 04 August 2004 00:09, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Tons of small fixes all around the tree.
>>
>> There's an optimized assembly AES implementation for x86 (from
>> Brian Gladman), and a number of driver updates, all of which are
>> reasonably minor.
>>
>> It would be good if people only sent serious stuff for a while,
>> and we can do a real 2.6.8, ok?
>>
>> Linus
>
>Works like a charm, only one comment:
>
>Mounting my vfat partitions gave me this error:
>
>FAT: codepage or iocharset option didn't specified
> File name can not access proper (mounted as read-only)
>
>which was easily fixed by supplying a iocharset= mount option. But
> according to the man page of mount:
>
> iocharset=value
> Character set to use for converting between 8 bit
> characters and 16 bit Unicode characters. The default is iso8859-1.
> Long file- names are stored on disk in Unicode format.
>
>the default is iso8859-1. Has this default gone haywire somewhere?
>
>Thanks anyway for another great kernel :)
>
>Jan

I too seem to have a font problem in the early boot, I have nothing
but some flashing as the cursor moves back and forth from kernel
unpack to the line where it reports setting the default font, at
which time the screen comes alive and is then readable as the boot
continues. This font setup occurs about 4 or 5 lines before the init
signs on. This condition has existed since someplace around 2.6.6
here. I have the 3 normally used for western english fonts compiled
in too. 437, iso8859-1, and utf-8.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)