Re: 2.6.8-rc2-mm2

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 05:52:04 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Also, basic interactivity in X is bad with the interactive sysctl set
to 0 (is X supposed to be at nice 0?), however fairness is bad when
interactive is 1. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable tradeoff - are
you planning to fix it?

it also has clear interactivity problems when just running lots of CPU
hogs even with the default interactive=1 compute=0 setting.

Increasing priority (negative nice) doesn't have much impact. -20 CPU
hog only gets about double the CPU of a 0 priority CPU hog and only
about 120% the CPU time of a nice -10 hog.

this is a property of the base scheduler as well.

*blush*. Well I shouldn't have singled out the staircase scheduler
with this then.

I think I would prefer your nonlinear ratios better though.