Re: How to increase max number of groups per uid ?

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 09:53:03 EST

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:34:07 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > is there a simple way in either 2.4 or 2.6 to get a lot more than 32 groups
> > per uid?
>
> 2.6 kernels support up to 65536 groups per user.

Hello Andrew,

in the meantime - after some testing - I found out the problem lies around nfs.
I cannot seem to change to directories (placed on nfs-volumes) whose
group-member I am.
Is this a known problem? Can I do something about it?

The situation is:

nfs-server 2.4.24
nfs-client 2.6.7

Client knows about 1000 groups and quite a lot users.
Mounting some directories from the nfs-server and checking out rights we found
that users belonging to a group owning a directory cannot access it. If the
exact same tree is located on the clients' local fs everything is fine.

Regards,
Stephan